We’ve been going to the OBX for over a decade now and find it to be a great trip to take with our family and friends. OBX isn’t just one town, it’s multiple towns and each one offers something different. We prefer the most southern locations, and the least commercialized. OBX offers our family peace, calm, and relaxation and split between two families the cost is unbeatable. No hustle and bustle for our family. Over the years we’ve developed a routine and highlight activities that are enjoyed by all AND easy to accomplish. But the best part of this list of relaxing activities can be enjoyed anywhere! Kitty Hawk, Buxton, Avon, Nags Head- you can enjoy these anywhere đź™‚
Note: We like to go with another family. It provides our kids playmates all week long and gives the parents play mates too.
What We Do:
1. Schedule a treasure hunt and bonfire. There is usually a dollar store nearby and we get the “grab bag for a boy” or “grab bag for a girl”. We pick up a shovel for each child too. Then we bury, make a map for the kids and outline a general digging area just to be sure no one feels terribly frustrated.
2. Mommy Day. Moms never get vacation from mommy duties and Dads never get to experience the joys of being a mom… so we sorta help each other out. My mommy friend and I get from 7:30 am to 5 pm to do ‘whatever’. We don’t make breakfast, lunch or dinner. We don’t dress the kids, discipline or even spend time at the beach building castles. We get out, go shopping, sit on the beach (by ourselves) and read or chat. We spend our day footloose and fancy free. Then we join back up at 5pm and we have a House Date Night. We find the dad’s enjoy their time too. They get to play all day at the beach with their favorite little people. How cool is that?
3. House Date Night. This means we all go out to dinner at a restaurant. It’s the only time we all go out. Each family has 4 kids. So it’s a fairly large (and potentially chaotic) group. One night out is enjoyable.
4. Date Night for each couple. Since we go with another family, each couple takes a turn getting a date night while the other couple watches their kids. We usually just order a pizza or Chinese on these nights because it’s easiest when feeding 8 kids with only 2 adults. But most nights we cook in the house.
5. Spa Time. We always rent a house with a jacuzzi or hot tub. It provides hours of fun for the kids. Some days it rains and sometimes you have a kid who is tired of the beach. A hot tub is a great alternative. Hot tub time is a daily activity. Be sure to keep the temperature cool enough for kids. Don’t set it higher than 98.
6. Take a trip on the Ferry to Ocracoke Island. It’s about a 45 minute, bring your car aboard, ferry ride. The kids LOVE this. We get up in the morning, ride the ferry, have lunch on the island and walk around the cute cottage shops in town, then return home on the Ferry. It’s a nice break from the beach and especially good if you have a slightly overcast day.
7. Schedule a daily happy hour. This doesn’t have to involve alcohol! We love to ride our bikes to get hush puppies each day and serve an appetizer before we sit down to feast on dinner. Hush Puppies are a regional food and we haven’t been able to reproduce them to perfection like the OBX offers. yum
Summer is just around the corner! What sandy shore do you love to visit?